Chocolate chip cookies are a must in our house and I decided to make some this past weekend. But, I had a craving for some sweet & salty goodness and also some caramel cookies. I needed that yummy balance in my cookies and what better way then to make these salted caramel chocolate chip cookies!
Let’s start with what you will need to make these delicious cookies!
Just a little tip: only use the Kraft Caramel or the Caramel Bits. Do not use the Wether’s Candies as they will not melt as well.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 TSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar packed
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg room temperature
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Caramel bits
- 1 TBSP Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a medium bowl, mix together: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Set aside.
- With electric mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add in egg then vanilla extract.
- Gradually add in flour mixture until well combined. The mixture will be thick.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out by the tablespoon and then roll into balls. Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Place 4-5 caramel bits into the top of the dough ball.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until caramel is melted and the bottoms of cookies are golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt immediately.
- Let cool before moving to wire cooling rack. Serve warm.
Process of making the Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip cookies
Ya’ll these were TO DIE FOR! I couldn’t keep them in the house long enough as they were gone that night after dinner. My husband said them warm with a tall glass of milk was the perfect bedtime snack. There weren’t many left for him to have after dinner as the kids ate quite a few in between batches going into the oven.
I personally was a huge fan of that sweet and salty mixture I had a craving for. I added in some extra chocolate chips on top when I was pushing into the pieces of caramel and it made all the difference. You got that instant chocolate, caramel, salted trio as soon as you bit into it!
Another tip I learned while baking these and scrolling through TikTok waiting for them to bake was this tip to get the perfect round cookie and I am going to share it with you! Take a circle cookie cutter and when the cookies are fresh out the oven, swish them around the circle to create that perfect round shape. You are basically manipulating them while warm. Hello aesthetically pleasing cookies. This works perfect if you are taking these to a get-together and want them to be absolutely perfect. I did it to a few just to see if it worked and it did! The rest…let’s just say I’m lucky I got what I got.
These are cookies that I definitely can see us making during the Fall season as well when caramel is a dream to eat. Pair it with a caramel macchiato from Starbucks or a delicious homemade caramel iced coffee and you have the perfect combo in my book!